Your first year in the residence halls will be a memorable, fun experience. Many people will help make it amazing including your hall mates, floor mates, roommates, lead staff, and especially your RA. Each floor has one resident assistant (RA) who will be the authority figure in your floor and hall. The RAs are responsible for your well being (mental & physical), your safety, and a good residential experience. Resident Assistants are ultimately a resource to help you succeed! I was really lucky my first year, all of the RAs were really amazing, diverse, and fun. I had a different relationship with each of them but I considered them all my friends. My RA, Lupe <3, was a huge part of the reason that I enjoyed and loved my first year. She became a friend and was someone I could confide in. I still maintain a strong relationship with my RA even though she graduated this past year. My RA became a mentor to me and someone I look up to as a role model. When you live in the residence halls you will become more aware of how involved the RAs will be in your lives. So make the most of your time with them because they can be really awesome!
Here are 5 Reasons to LOVE Your RA:
1. Your RA is a UCSB student JUST LIKE YOU which means that your RA has already experienced the things you are feeling as you transition into UCSB! They can help you get through it because it already happened to them!
2. Your RA will have your back! Your RA will always have your best interest in mind and their job is to help you in any way they can!
3. Your RA is more than just an RA; they’re also a person! Most residents tend to forget this but if you take time to get to know the RAs you might actually have a lot in common with them!
4. Your RA is a resource. Your RA is there to help you succeed academically, socially, and personally! Utilize them!!!
5. Your RA can become your FRIEND. I grew a personal relationship with my RA and I’m glad I did because she has become one of my closest friends while at UCSB. Although, she always made sure that I knew she was my RA first, she was also there for me when I needed a friend and I like to think I was there for her too.
Your first year is going to be full of excitement and fun! Your RA is just another reason to love and enjoy living in the residence halls! UCSB will become your home and the people here will become your family. The best advice I took from my RA that I want to pass down to you is take care of yourself, take care of each other, and take care of this place.