Environmental Awareness Chair (EAC)
Who Are They?
Santa Catalina North
Santa Catalina South
Itzel Farias Torres
The Hall Council Environmental Awareness Chair shall:
- Plan at least 1-2 environmental programs per quarter
- Plan educational programs and events around the theme of environmental awareness
- Collaborate with other Hall Council executives and representatives to plan, implement, and advertise events
- Give progress updates on environmental initiatives, programs, and events he or she is planning and/or are happening around campus
- Assist and collaborate with RHA's Earth Day event
COMPOSTABLE MATERIALS BANK
If you live in the Chi-5 area, are planning a program, and want free supplies, you’re in the right place! We have plates, hot cups, cold cups, napkins, forks, knives, and spoons! Our goal is to promote sustainability within the Residence Halls and at UCSB. We achieve this through using as little waste as possible, hosting environmental education sessions, and promoting environmental awareness at Hall Council and Coordinating Board meetings.
Tips on how to be more sustainable:
- Use natural lighting. If your program/meeting is occurring before the sun goes down. Open up those blinds and let the light in!
- Use reusable cups and plates. This requires more time, but these supplies can be purchased and reused over the year.
- Buy recycled products like paper, cups, plates, etc.!
- Buy local food. There are a plethora of places in Isla Vista and Santa Barbara to buy food and a lot of the money goes back into the community.
- Shop at the Farmers Market!
- Don't buy plastic water bottles!